Now that the temperature has dipped below zero and worse, here are 6 winter hacks to make life a little easier:
- Coffee — Buy a programmable outlet timer from any of the big box stores. Attach kettle to the timer and set the timer to turn on 15 minutes before you wake up. Fresh cup of coffee every morning and right when you want it! And, this will save you a few minutes of tinkering with the coffee maker in the morning, so maybe you’ll make it to work on time for once.
- Car — Frozen car lock? Not a problem. You’ll wonder why you didn’t think of this before. Grab matches or ideally, a lighter from your home or pocket (you really should quit that nasty habit!). Warm your key up with lighter and insert into lock and let the heat from the key thaw your lock.
- Car — Ice storm catch you off guard? Have a spray bottle filled with 1 part water and 2 parts rubbing alcohol handy, either in the car or wherever you keep your snow shovels. Spray solution on your frozen windshield and like magic, the ice will be history. True story! Google it!
- Home — Pull your curtains aside and let the sunshine in and, for once, let the greenhouse effect be your friend. Sunshine, especially in the winter, will warm your house and your heart. Very enviro-friendly too.
- Running — Add a layer of insulation without the bulk and without breaking the bank. Wear pantyhose under your top layer clothing. Ladies have probably figured this one out. Pantyhose are thin and insulating and no one will know that your football playing physique is being warmed by a pair of lady leggings.
- Running — Use that old standby for many occasions — Vaseline — to add a layer of protection to your face and ears. Experiment with how much vaseline on your face is enough or too much. Running in the cold with vaseline on your face, even a thin layer, will prevent wind burn and save your skin. Vaseline has amazing protective and healing properties and is cheap to boot.